Maryland Broadband Infrastructure Grant Program, is facilitated by the Maryland Broadband Cooperative (MdBC) and the Office of Statewide Broadband through an award provided by the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD).
MdBC provides middle mile interconnection and internet backhaul services to its members. In order for an area to receive broadband services, provisions for the new network to connect to the internet must be in place. MdBC will construct fiber optic networks into unserved, rural areas that will connect to and utilize MdBC’s existing Open Access network. The newly constructed infrastructure will be made available to members for use in delivery of last mile (“retail”) broadband services in accordance with MdBC’s operating policies.
The match for this grant will be provided by the last mile infrastructure to be constructed by MdBC’s members and MdBC will offer reduced rates for the use of the funded infrastructure.
CURRENTLY FUNDED PROJECTS
- Estimated Construction Completion Fall 2021
· Charlotte Hall
- Construction is COMPLETE.
- Fiber Available to MdBC members in late June 2021
· Elliott Island
- Estimated Construction Completion in September 2021
- Fiber Available to MdBC members in November 2021
- Estimated Construction Completion in June 2021
- Fiber Available to MdBC members in August 2021
- Estimated Construction Completion in late June 2021
- Fiber Available to MdBC members in late August 2021
- Construction is COMPLETE
- Fiber Available to MdBC Members after Completion of Hebron in August 2021
Tyaskin & Bivalve
- Estimated Construction Completion is July 2021
- Fiber Available to MdBC members in September 2021
Each area selected for an award was selected based on the lack of broadband services in the area, but with an eye to the potential for expansion and delivery of last mile broadband service. The grant is being made in accordance with an existing MOU between DHCD and MdBC. MdBC will be responsible for all ongoing operating and maintenance costs relating to the network.
Thank you for taking the time to review and consider our RFP. We look forward to receiving your proposals.